Tooth decay is one such common ailment which we are facing. Children at a very young age are getting prone to such ailments. It is also known as cavities or dental caries.
What is tooth decay?
Tooth decay is the softening of the tooth enamel and the damage of the tooth which is caused due to the acids, that is created by the plague bacteria break down sugar in the mouth of an individual. If left untreated it can lead to a hole in the tooth after a certain time period.
Six simple ways to heal tooth decay:
We will see the six basic principles behind how you can heal cavities naturally to prevent tooth decay by changing your diet rules.
- Reduce your sugar intake: British Medical Journal suggests that a change in the rule of having a diet can reverse tooth decay. Easy things you have to change in your diet immediately like:
- Consuming calcium-enriched foods (like collards, broccoli rabe, and dairy foods) will help to strengthen your bones and teeth durability.
- Avoid drinking pop, juice, and drinks having high carbonation, as the sugars cause excessive plaque and tartar build-up which may result in cavities.
- If you would like to guard your teeth against early decay or heal existing cavities, include the subsequent steps in your oral care routine.
- Brush your teeth a minimum of twice each day ensuring you reach all the surfaces, crevices, pockets, and corners.
- Floss a minimum of once daily: This helps in removing any remaining food from below your gums and it will prevent bacteria. Use mouthwash; it’s antibacterial properties and helps you get rid of any remaining bacteria in your mouth.
- Add vitamins to your diet: Micronutrients are very important to bone health and keep inflammation to stop or reverse cavities. Some of the vitamins help produce saliva which helps to stop bacteria from staying on your teeth and make your teeth tons stronger.
Foods that enhance salivation include bananas, Brussels sprouts, and peas effectively. Vitamins you ought to consume include B-complex, vitamin D, magnesium, and iron.
- Add the foods with natural probiotics: Due to bad bacteria associated with infection, for places to hide in the small areas between the teeth, by consumption of probiotics helps to offset the acidic pH. These foods promote the production of healthy bacteria in the mouth to avoid plaque buildup and dental decay.
- Be aware of the pH values in the consumed food: An imbalance in pH levels can cause an environment for bacteria to thrive. Drinks that include coffee create pH imbalances (i.e citrus fruits and sugars) and act as the path for an environment for harbouring infectious oral bacteria.
If you drink a daily coffee and suffer from tooth decay, the alternative to coffee is green tea as it contains a polyphenol which helps as a powerful antioxidant and has several anti-inflammatory properties.
- Develop a new oral care regime: Have you heard about the technique called oil pulling? Oil pulling is able to reduce plaque once a month. Oil pulling is supposed to create a soap-like cleansing on teeth with moisturizing and antiseptic capabilities.
Causes of tooth decay
There are several reasons for tooth decay. Let us know about a few reasons now –
The loss of tooth mineral is called demineralization. The tooth decay occurs when food containing high content of carbohydrates and sugar gets stuck between the teeth.
- Eating and drinking habits
When the foods with a high content of carbohydrates and sugar gets trapped between teeth it results in the formation of the plaque.
- Medical issues
The acid from the stomach can flows back to the mouth which can contribute to tooth decay. When the stomach acid gets exposed the bulimia increases which causes frequent vomiting.
- Poor oral hygiene
Not brushing your teeth regularly or not cleaning your mouth properly can result into increase of plaque formation. This is the reason you always get to hear – “Brush your teeth properly”.
- Dental plaque formation
When food particles, saliva, acid and bacteria gets combined in the mouth it results to plaque formation. Bacteria is present naturally in the mouth, when an individual eats foods with sugar or drinks beverages the bacteria in the mouth turns sugar to acid.
Read More : Amla Juice – 6 Benefits For Hair And Skin
Symptoms of tooth decay
- Tooth pain
- Black or white staining
- Tooth sensitivity
- Hole in the tooth
Complications of tooth decay
- Immense tooth pain.
- Difficulty in chewing food.
- Development of pus around the infected tooth.
- Bad breath can make you feel uncomfortable.
- The unpleasant taste in the mouth annoys you while having food.
Do’s for oral health
- Brush your teeth at least twice in a day.
- Clean your mouth properly after every meal.
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush.
- Visit your dentist once in every 6 months.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Apply oil of cloves in case of tooth decay symptoms.
Don’ts for oral health
- Don’t delay your dental treatments.
- Don’t eat too much sugary foods or acidic foods.
- Don’t smoke. This can discolour your teeth and can also increase the rate of tooth decay.
- Don’t ignore your diet plan. The foods and beverages you consume is also responsible for dental care.
- Don’t expose the teeth to very hot or cold temperatures.
- Don’t ignore flossing either.
Buy cow Ghee Online : Order Now. Free Shipping
May it be children or elders, nobody likes or prefers to stop eating sugary food items, junk foods or beverages. Chocolates, cookies, soft drinks or sweets we all enjoy its taste. But when it comes to oral care, the food you include in your diet is also responsible for tooth decay.
There are a few foods that will help you prevent tooth decay. Whereas on the other hand there are foods that will cause tooth decay. Here are 6 nutritional choices that you can include in your diet, and prevent tooth decay problems.
#1. Foods rich in calcium
The main nutrient that protects the teeth is calcium. It is one of the building block of the enamel. If you want to keep your teeth strong and healthy consumption of foods rich in calcium is very necessary.
The foods rich in calcium are
- Milk and milk products
- Sea food
Read More: 12 gorgeous beauty benefits of ghee for skin, hair, and more.
#2. Fruits and vegetables rich in fibre and water content.
Fruits and vegetables are one of the most healthiest food items you can include in your diet. When they have a good amount of fibre and water content in them its very beneficial to the teeth as well as the body. Consumption of fruits with a good amount of water content is good for the teeth. Moreover, chewing of food produces more saliva which is one of the best natural neutralizer and medical agent present in our mouth.
The fruits and vegetables are –
- Kiwi fruit
#3. Foods rich in Vitamin C
Vitamin C is one of the most powerful vitamin which helps in reducing inflammation and also strengthens the blood vessels. It is also responsible for the production of collagen. Collagen helps in the prevention of periodontal disease that is caused due to poor brushing and flossing habits.
The foods rich in vitamin C are –
- Desi cow ghee
- Kiwi fruits
#4. Foods rich in Vitamin D
Vitamin D is an essential component that helps in absorbing calcium better. It helps you to maintain healthy and strong teeth and bones as well; it may also help you in overcoming conditions like cancer, type 1 diabetes and multiple sclerosis.
The foods rich in Vitamin D are –
- Sunlight ( the best natural source of vitamin D, though you can’t eat it.)
- Desi cow ghee
- Egg yolks
#5. Foods rich in probiotics
There are a lot of good and bad bacterias in our body. Many studies have proved that probiotics may help in decreasing plaque.
The foods rich in probiotics are –
- Desi cow ghee
#6. Foods rich in antioxidants
Antioxidants are the most important nutrient for our body. It has various health benefits. Antioxidants are the ones which fight against the bacterias which causes inflammation and periodontal ailments. It also helps t protect the gums and other tissues from damage or infections of any kind.
Foods rich in antioxidants are –
- Desi cow ghee
- Sea foods
There are several other foods that are not mentioned here. But consumption of foods rich in this particular nutrition is responsible to improve your oral health. The rate of tooth decay reduces when you make small changes in your nutrition levels.
Eat healthy and tasty foods but don’t forget to follow the do’s that is mentioned above. Nutritional changes must be followed on a regular basis so that you aren’t prone to ailments like tooth decay. Visit your dentist and clear your doubts regarding any queries related to your oral care.
Buy cow Ghee Online : Order Now. Free Shipping
As you would have observed that desi cow ghee was mentioned above in a few nutritional food lists. Ghee is an essential fat that should be consumed in your diet. It has fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E, K. It is also a detoxifying agent.
Ghee is more beneficial when you include it with a calcium-rich source i.e milk. Consumption of warm milk with a spoon of desi cow ghee every day can help you to improve strong and healthy teeth. Consumption of milk and ghee has various advantages for one’s health. You can also consume ghee in your diet or just have it directly.
Take Away –
The human body is a complicated machine. The foods that a human chooses and how often they eat them can affect their general health and the fitness of their teeth and gums, too.
In case, if you eat too many sugar-filled sodas, sweetened fruit drinks/non-nutritious snacks, then you could be at risk for the decay of your tooth. Tooth decay is the most common chronic childhood disease, but the good news is that it is completely preventable.
Tooth decay develops when plaque comes into contact with sugar in the mouth, causing acid to attack the teeth.
To keep control of the amount of sugar you eat, read the nutrition facts and ingredient labels on foods and beverages and choose the options that are lowest in sugar.
Soft drinks, candy, cookies, and pastries are common sources of sugar that include in your diet. A physician or a registered dietitian can also suggest eating a nutritious diet. If lacks certain nutrients in your diet, it may be more difficult for tissues in your mouth to resist infection.
This may lead to contribute to gum disease. Serious gum disease is the main cause of tooth loss in adults. Most of the researchers believe that this disease progresses faster and is potentially more serious in people with poor nutrition.
Read more –