Flax Seeds – the shiny, nutty seeds have an earthy aroma and a host of health benefiting properties. Flax seeds benefits could help you improve digestion, give you clear skin, lower cholesterol, reduce sugar craving, balance hormones, fight cancer and promote weight loss and much more. Flaxseeds belong to the Linaceae family and are botanically known as “Linum usitatissimum”. It is called “sana bija” in Hindi.
3 table spoons serving of flaxseeds contains:
- Omega-3 (ALA) 6,338mg
- Fiber 8g
- Protein 6g
- Vitamin B1 31% RDA
- Manganese 35% RDA
- Magnesium 30% RDA
- Phosphorus 19% RDA
- Selenium 10% RDA
- Also, flaxseeds contain a good amount of vitamin B6, Iron, potassium, copper and zinc.
Health Benefits of Flax Seed
- High in Phytochemicals and Antioxidants:
- Cancer Prevention
- Digestion Improvision
- Prevent Cardiovascular diseases
- Control High Cholesterol
- Reduce Diabetes
- Fight Inflammation
- Reduces Hot Flashes
Flax Seeds are big source of omega 3 fatty acids which improve hair and skin like:
- High in Antioxidants (Lignans) : The lignans present in flaxseeds improve the appearance of the skin by reducing the levels of DHT in the body.
- Wounds Healing : Flax Seed consumption minimize skin irritation, rashes, inflammation and redness. It also shrinks the possibility of acne, dermatitis and psoriasis.
- Skin conditioning & moisturizing: The essential fatty acids in flaxseed keep the skin hydrated and moisturized. Regular intake of flaxseeds increases the body’s natural oil production, keeping the skin baby soft
- Prevent Skin Cancer : Researchers have found that a diet rich in flaxseeds may protect the skin tissues from radiation, significantly reduce skin damage after sun exposure. The antioxidants present in flaxseeds fight the free radicals, preventing skin cancer.
- Acne Control : Sebum, am oil substance produce by flaxseeds prevent the onset of acne by just consuming 1-2 table spoon of flaxseed daily.
- Scrub : Mix Flax seed with yoghurt, honey scrub it for 10 minutes and wash off will gives you silky smooth skin and rejuvenates you skin cells.
Flaxseeds are packed with nutrients like protein, calcium, zinc, magnesium, iron and omega 3 fatty acids, which are required for the growth of your hair. A daily dose of flaxseeds can make your hair healthy, vibrant and strong.
- Prevents Hair Breakage : Consumption of omega 3 fatty acids increase hair’s elasticity which makes less prone to hair breakage and endows you with stronger hair.
- Dandruff control : The anti-inflammatory properties of flaxseeds reduce the possibility of dandruff, eczema and other scalp conditions.
- Reducing hypertension : Consumption of omega 3 fatty acids, and other nutritious values in flaxseeds result in reduced hypertension.
- Prevents Cicatricial alopecia : Including flaxseeds in your diet can help to ameliorate several hair conditions. The anti-inflammatory properties of flaxseeds prevent cicatricial alopecia, a permanent hair loss condition. Cicatricial alopecia damages the hair follicles severely, preventing the growth of healthy hair.
- Prevents Male Baldness : The alpha linolenic acid in flaxseeds inhibits 5 alpha reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone into Dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT shrinks the hair follicles, leading to baldness. The ALA, linolenic acid and oleic acid in flaxseeds are used as natural remedies to treat male baldness. It also prevents hair loss due to Telogen effluvium.
There are two types of flaxseeds- brown and golden. The nutritional profile of both the varieties is almost the same. Flaxseeds are rich in vitamins, minerals, omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants. It is high in B complex vitamin, manganese and magnesium. Additionally, flaxseeds are low in carbohydrates, making it ideal for people who are on a weight loss and diabetic diet.