Homemade ghee or liquid gold is considered food from the Gods. It is a superfood filled with the benefits of health as well as taste. Ghee is one such lip-smacking food supplement that tempts us to take a soupcon more when added with any delicious dish or food in order to enhance its taste and flavour. Ghee is not just restricted to the kitchen but is also used for lighted lamps and yagna.
Buy Pure Desi Ghee Online : Order Now. Free Shipping
Ghee is available at stores with fancy airtight containers. Yet, there are houses that prepare their own ghee at home. Desi ghee is one such health-boosting medicine that is always available in the kitchen. You may have various questions like – how to prepare ghee at home? and how to identify desi pure ghee? etc etc…
There are two methods of making ghee at home –
- Make ghee by collecting cream from milk for several days.
- Heating the butter brought from the store.
As kids, we all did not like the smell of the butter when heated. We would run away from the kitchen telling that it had an unpleasant smell…
How to prepare ghee at home in easy 10 steps?
- Add 2 tablespoons of yogurt in a utensil and keep collecting the cream from boiled and further cooled milk for a week. See to that you store it in the refrigerator so that it does not get spoilt.
- After collecting the cream for about a week, churn it with a wooden whisk or use a food processor. If you are using a wooden whisk to churn it then it is better to add cold water so that butterfat gets separated from the buttermilk.
- Collect the butter granules in another vessel or bowl once you are done with the process of churning.
- Keep the vessel with butter granules to heat on a low flame. Let it melt. See to that you don’t keep the flame high as it will burn the butter off and lead to a bitter taste.
- Stir the butter when the foams start to gather.
- After about 15-20 minutes of slow heating, the foam will settle down and all the moisture will evaporate.
- When you see the ghee is getting yellow colour and the milk granules start to get settled in the bottom raise the flame from low to medium and boil it for 3-4 minutes.
- The ghee will start turning to dark yellow colour and the milk granules which gets settled at the bottom of the vessel turns dark brown.
- Let the ghee cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Filter the ghee using a muslin cloth and store it in an airtight container. Always keep the ghee in a cool and dry place. You can use this ghee for about 8-10 months. See to that you take the ghee out with a dry spoon, or else it can be spoiled.
How to check the purity of ghee?
Checking the purity of ghee is a easy step. Heat the pan and add a spoonful of ghee, if the ghee turns reddish brown it is considered as pure.
If you doubt the quality of your ghee here are some tricks you can test the parameters to clear the doubt.
This is one of the simplest methods to check, take one teaspoon of ghee in the vessel. If ghee melts quickly and turns into yellow color then you must avoid it, if the color turns into dark brownish color then it is confirmed that it is pure ghee.
When you take a teaspoon of ghee on your palm and the ghee is melting itself then it’s the pure form of ghee.
Double- boiler method:
For that melt the ghee in the glass jar using this method you get to know whether the ghee contains traces of coconut oil or not. Put the jar in the refrigerator and if you found that the layer of oil and ghee is different in solidity then it concluded that this ghee is not pure.
Take a small quantity of melted ghee and add 2 drops of iodine solution to it. It results from the iodine turns in purple then it will be proved ghee is included with starch that should be avoided to eat.
Take one transparent bottle and add a teaspoon of ghee, also add a pinch of sugar into it. After closing it, shake the bottle well. Wait for five minutes and see the red color appear at the bottom of the bottle then it is confirmed that there is vegetable oil content present in the ghee.
Read our blog – Curious about the texture of your ghee?
Why use ghee?
In the present situation, the sunflower oil and olive oil has become dominant over the use of ghee for regular cooking. Ghee can be used regularly due to its health benefits –
- High smoking point.
- Ghee can be stored for a longer period of time.
- Ghee promotes good health.
- Ghee acts as a beauty enhancer.
- Ghee is used to cure various ailments.
- Ghee has various vitamins like A, D, E and K.
- Ghee is rich in CLA(Conjugated Linoleic Acid).
- Ghee has omega 6 and 9.
- Ghee does not affect the individuals with casein intolerance.
- Ghee is fat soluble and an essential fat required to a better functioning of the body.
- Ghee can be easily digested.
- Ghee promotes good immune system.
- Ghee is Anti- inflammatory.
- Ghee is also used as an anti-cancer agent.
- Ghee stimulates strong appetite as it is easily digested. And proper digestion of food in the body is proportional to strong appetite.
- Ghee is a positive food.
- In India ghee is one of those holy food ingredient.
- Ghee is used to manage weight(weight loss or weight gain). If you still believe the myth that ghee leads to obesity then the answer is no! Overconsumption does but not proper consumption.
- Ghee helps in the treatment of burns, wounds or scars.
- Ghee is a versatile food which is free from impurities.
How to relish the benefits of ghee in kitchen?
- Make ghee the primary cooking oil in your kitchen, but remember that too much usage of ghee everyday can not be beneficial.
- Toss steamed or boiled vegetables with ghee and salt to taste, it gives an amazing flavour to the vegetables.
- Use it as a spreader to chapati, parathas or bread etc.
- Stir it in hot dal or pour few drops on your rice.
- Fry your spices with ghee.
- Drizzle ghee over fish, chicken or boiled eggs etc,etc
How to relish the benefits of ghee for beauty care?
- Ghee is used to get soft and supple skin as it hydrates the skin.
- It promotes anti-aging property.
- Helps to maintain a shiny and soft hair as it acts as a moisturizer. It also helps to get rid of splitends.
- It cures chapped skin and lightens dark lips.
- Heals cracked heels.
How to relish the benefits of ghee as a medicine?
- Ghee is used to cure dry throat or dry cough.
- It reduces canker sore gradually.
- Helps to get rid of clogged nose which is one the most annoying infection by which you are fed up!
- Ghee is used in the eye treatment called ‘Netra tarpana’ and nasal treatment called ‘Nasya treatment’.
- Helps to cure burns, wounds and scars.
Read our blog – Ghee- A short consideration from Ayurvedic perspective
Is ghee healthy?
Yes, ghee is surely a healthy food supplement. It is one of the healthiest fat which is essential for the proper functioning of the body. Ghee can be given to infants from the age of 6 months to even age old people.
You can prepare ghee at home or buy the best trusted desi ghee to enjoy the benefits of using the organic grass fed ghee. Now the question is where to buy the trusted desi ghee? You can buy desi cow ghee at our online store. Visit our https://sureshfoods.com/ website to know more.