Nasya is an Ayurvedic term, a procedure followed for disorders related to migraine, throat, nose, ear, sinusitis and any other organ above the neck. Ayurveda purifies these organs and removes vitiated doshas through the nasal openings.
It works specifically on disorders of the ear, nose and throat. Nasya is one of the five Panchakarma therapies. The nasal treatment happens in the form of medicated powders, medicinal fumes, nasal oil or medicated juice.
The treatment can be performed twice a day if nasal congestion has an issue. It is very effective when you are using lukewarm ghee for the process before going to bed and once after waking up in the morning. Before trying it once, get through the doctor’s consultation.
Nasya is one of the panchakarma therapies, pure desi ghee administered in one’s nostrils. The nasal passage is responsible for providing nourishment to three vital body parts like eyes, throats, and nose also. It impacts the cerebral faculties and sensory organs.
How to do the Nasya Treatment at home?
There are 2 methods to perform Nasya treatment at home:
- First Lie down comfortably on your back with your head tilted back, if you are lying down on the bed hang your head off the edge of the bed. For support to your neck, you can use a pillow.
- Pour 3 to 4 drops of Panchagavya nasal drops in each nostril, make sure to put one drop at a time.
- The final step is to take a deep breath and then take a rest.
- Massage one nostril with ghee by taking one drop of Nasal drop on your little finger.
- Repeat the same procedure for the second nostril.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for three times to get a better result.
Study of Criteria for Nasya treatment:
1. Patients who meet the criteria
- People who are suffering from Vataja pratishyaya and Allergic Rhinitis symptoms.
- People of both sexes fall under this category.
- The age limit is between 16-65 years.
2. Patients who are unfit to criteria
- People of ages below 16 yrs and 65 yrs.
- Those who are having the systemic infectious disease are unfit for this treatment.
- Patients with polyps, DNS surgical intervention are unfit for Nasya.
Efficacy of the treatment:
This form of treatment is tailor-made for disease related to ENT and Eye ailments. The treatment aims at getting the toxins removed from the neck and head region by administering oil through the nasal cavity. Other areas where Nasya can be applied to get good results include psychiatry, dentistry, and neurology.
Buy Pure Desi Cow Ghee Online: Order Now. Free Shipping
Types of Nasya:
As per function, there are 3 different types of Nasya Brihmana Nasya, Virechana Nasya and Shamana Nasya. As per quality, Nasya can be divided into 2 categories i.e. Pratimarsha nasya and Marsha Nasya. As mentioned there are many kinds of Nasya – however for the purpose of this blog I will discuss Shodhana Nasya, which uses fat (ghee or butter oil) with appropriate herbs based on the condition or Dosha imbalance.
Nasya Treatment-An Effective Ayurvedic therapy for Ear, Nose & Throat Diseases
How Does Nasya Treatment Work?
The medicaments administered through the nostrils pervade into the nervous (Brain) and venous system (Blood circulation) present in and around the nostrils. Then they evacuate the morbidity present or distributed in the nearby areas. Thus it relieves the blockage of the channels and the diseases are cured effectively.
Medicated oils/juices/ powders stimulate the vital centres of the brain to overcome specific diseases. Nasya treatment does not cause any serious side effects when performed by an experienced therapist. However, it is recommended to not undergo Nasya After heavy meals or Shirodhara.
What is The Procedure of Nasya Karma?
The procedure of Nasya can be classified under three headings:
1. Poorvakarma or pre purificatory measures that Include facial oil massage or application of steam to face, forehead, head, ears, and neck. This helps to loosen the adhesive Doshas.
2. Pradhanakarma or the main procedure of Nasya. This is the main step of Nasya and includes instillation of lukewarm medication in both the nostrils, alternately, with the help of proper instruments like a dropper. The sole, shoulder, neck, ear and palm are gently massaged after the administration of the drug
3. Paschatkarma or post-therapeutic measures: In this procedure patients mouth is cleaned by giving lukewarm water to gargle and then medicated smoke is given for inhalation.
What are the benefits of Nasya Treatment?
Nasyam Ayurvedic treatment cleanses, purifies and strengthens the nasal passages, allowing you to breathe fully and easily again. Due to its many benefits, Nasyam is a recommended remedy for congestion, allergies, sinusitis, headaches, migraine, cervical spondylosis, hair fall, premature greying of hair, rhinitis and other nasal infections.
This treatment can be done on specific areas through the nostril and it helps to improve the brain to improve vision. As we know the nose, ear and eyes are interconnected to each other so this treatment helps to affect positively, maintain the eyes and ears healthy.
Desi cow ghee is very effective to control stress levels so it adds relaxation to the mind and brain. Nasya is a very popular treatment among panchakarma therapies.
Nasyam is used in the management of the following conditions:
Pain Management: Nasyam is beneficial in the treatment of headaches, Migraine, and cervical Spondylosis. Medicated oils or powders stimulate some vital centers of the brain that reduce pain perception.
Stress Reduction: It includes administration of medicated drugs or oils through nostrils. It stimulates the vital centers of the brain that regulate emotions.
De-Toxification: Nasyam is one of the panchakarmas and is indicated as important Ayurvedic detoxification therapy.
Skin & Hair Care: With regular treatment, Nasyam can improve skin complexion. It can also improve hair texture and prevent the greying of hair.
Paralysis: As mentioned in Ayurveda nose is the opening to reach the brain, any medicine instilled in nasal cavity acts directly on brain.
Elderly Care: Ayurvedic Nasyam treatment can be used in disorders that develop with increasing age such as pain, paralysis, stress etc.
Immunity enhancer: Use of Immunity boosting herbs for Nasyam can be beneficial in people who show low Immunity.
Eye Care: Medications administered through nasal cavity act on the specific area of the brain that is involved in regulating vision.
Mental Health: Medication administered through nasal cavity act on the specific area of the brain to improve mood and emotions.
Nasya Oils for Different Doshas:
In Ayurveda various substances are used to do Nasya. The most common Nasya oil is herbal infused oil which is both nurturing and nourishing and alleviating numerous discomforts. The following are some dosha specific Nasya Oil formulas.
Vata Dosha: Sesame oil, ghee, or vacha (calamus) oil.
Pitta Dosha: Brahmi ghee, sunflower or coconut oil.
Kapha Dosha: Vacha (calamus root) oil.
Role of Desi Cow Ghee in Nasya Treatment:
One of the many benefits of cow ghee is pure cow ghee can be used as nasal drops. Two drops of pure cow ghee is put into both nostrils, in the morning before 30 min. of food. This practice is called Nasya Treatment.
Pure Cow Ghee use balance Vata and Pitta dosha. Nasya treatment is an effective therapy for Ear, nose and throat diseases. Nasya Treatment help in managing several ENT medical problems including pain management, stress reduction, and detoxification. Nasya does treat a few skin and hair problems like white hair and hair fall. Naya treatment with pure cow ghee increases immunity and strengthens the immune system.